Monday, 27 July 2009

Day 4

Today's class was really tough. I left work early because I'd been feeling like I was coming down with something all afternoon. I couldn't think straight...and to top it off the chest/ribcage area that I've injured was really hurting, and I felt ill...I suspect it was because the injury was so painful. It was hurting to take any more than shallow breaths. So I left work as I wasn't feeling good, and managed to make it to an earlier class than planned, with another of my favourite teachers, which was a nice surprise. My favourite classes are the weekday 4 and 5pm classes, which I get to practise if I've worked an early shift (or just if I leave work early!).

I was up for the class, and feeling good about it, but my chest was really hurting when I went in. In Standing Head to Knee my chest felt so compressed and sore. I had to just hold my foot in second set, with no kicking. It must have been extra hot, as the teacher kept opening the door a lot, which is unusual. I was completely oblivious to the heat or anything else because of the pain. Sometime in the Standing series, my chest stopped hurting and the pain flipped to my back, about five times worse. It hurt to lie down when we took savasana.

Somehow I pushed through the class, only avoiding sit ups, and not going into the final Head to Knee as much as normal. It did hurt to push myself up after every Savasana. It was worst just lying down. Funnily enough, I was so focused on breathing into the pain the whole way through class, that my focus and concentration were great. My teacher even said I'd looked fine after class. Aside from the pain, I would say it was a great class!

I was reassured by my teacher, who said that she's had a similar injury, and that I'll be fine after seeing the Osteopath in two days. I hope she's right. I trust experienced teachers, which she is, to be able to make a judgement on injuries. So many students go to class to heal injuries, that they've seen it all before. She told me to do a second set of Spinal Twist after class, which I did. I certainly wasn't going to be practising any of the Advanced postures!

It's not the best time to be injured! But I'm determined to complete the challenge. I've decided the only thing that will stop me is Swine Flu!

No comments: