Tuesday, 25 August 2009

The Breath

Hmm...I guess now I have to think of titles for my posts every time, rather than just falling back on the easy 'Day X' choice!!

I had a day off yesterday. I hadn't really intended to, but I took the lazy option rather than heading to the 7pm class after work. I wanted to see how it would feel to have a day off. Or at least that was what I told myself! Well anyway I felt lazy all evening, and restless. It was weird, after doing 32 classes in the last 31 days, to suddenly take a break. I probably had some extra energy that I could have done with using in a class.

Still the gap made today's class extra special! I was aching to get to class all day, still restless. I left work a little early to make the 6pm class with Nina, who'd said she was going to help me correct Balancing Stick next time she saw me.

Restless as I was, I wasn't sure how class would turn out after a day off. I know that sounds ridiculous. I mean it was only ONE day!! But I've really slipped into the routine of the daily practice, and not only that, but I've been enjoying it. So it didn't feel right to miss a day. When I got to class I felt like I hadn't been there for ages!

Today was hot. Very hot. Full, and tough. It was one of those days where you start to feel slightly lightheaded by or around Eagle. I wanted to have a good class so as soon as I had that feeling, I knew I had to turn my entire focus to my breath. As the Standing series progressed it was getting hotter and hotter, and I was feeling more dizziness. But by completely concentrating on my inhales and exhales I was able to complete every posture to a pretty good standard for me. Inhale for 8...exhale for 9....and so on.

Many people were sitting down, and at some points my heart was pounding so hard that I felt like it too, but I kept sending my mind back to my breath, and I was able to stay quite focused. It fascinates me how you can use the breath to focus your mind, and bring stillness. By Tree, I felt the posture calming me and my breath becoming more relaxed and slow. That posture is a godsend at that point in the series, when I'm often feeling ready to collapse. It has a beautiful calming effect.

It was a good class, and afterwards, as I was practising some other postures, Nina came up to me and got someone to help her correct me in Balancing Stick. She did the thing where they pull me from each end. It was the first time I'd had that done, and it definitely felt weird. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to stretch from fingers to toes quite that much on my own, but it did feel good!

I have to go to bed now, as I'm aiming to get up for the 6.45am class tomorrow. I hope I actually get up in time for it! The good thing about the challenge is that the motivation part is done for you, so when your alarm goes off at 6am youjust get up if you have to. Now the challenge is over I'm just hoping that I'll have enough motivation to drag myself out of bed at that hour! I need to find a new routine now I'm not doing the challenge anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens...

No comments: