Well, I did it! Today is Day 31, and I did go to class today, so that makes 32 classes in 31 days now. I've been having great classes the last few days, and am in a good mood. The sun is shining and it's 28 degrees outside (I'm only inside to post this). Life is good!
Today's class was fun. I was wide awake at 7am unintentionally. I really had intended to sleep in today, now that we don't have anyone staying with us, and because I wanted to catch up on lost sleep from the week. I fell asleep at 9.30 last night though, so I guess that was enough.
Made it to Nina's 9am, although when I woke up and felt the stiffness in my shoulders from yesterday's headstand, I swore I wasn't going to an early class. I was ok after a hot shower and some headstands before class though, and ended up having an awesome class. Went in the front row with my friend Natalie, and was completely focused and loving it, even if my postures weren't their absolute best (they never are for me the day after Advanced).
My Day 30 was Advanced with Emma. Having missed it last week for the masterclass, it felt good to get back into it. Now my injury is gone, I can feel I'm getting back to where I was in Advanced, and starting to improve again. I really need to start being more disciplined about doing some advanced stuff after normal class. I used to do it all the time, but it kind of tailed off when my rib was injured, and I've been slacking on that the last few weeks too, using the challenge/early shifts/tiredness as excuses.
I need to work on flexibility, as the postures I'm slightly better at are strength ones (Crow and lotus Peacock-not that they are great, but they're better than the others). I know that sometimes I slip into the habit of only practising the ones I'm stronger at, as I feel more positive about them. It shouldn't be that way. They'll be more benefit from practising the ones that need more work, particularly those that require back and shoulder flexibility. Due to that, I've made a commitment to myself to try to practise walking down the wall backwards a few times every day, and doing a shoulder opener, and splits. I'm finding the wall-walking one to be a great warm up before class too!
After Advanced, Amber ("my new best friend from Advanced Bikram Yoga class"-that's what she's been calling me..hehe :) discovered this great little cafe near the studio that makes fresh fruit and vegetable juices, and lots of different salads. It was really cheap to-£2.50 for a juice, which is a good price in London. It's going to be our new hang-out.
Thoughts after the Challenge
I just re-read all my blog posts from the last 31 days. It was quite nice reminding myself of all the classes, and how I'd been feeling, as you can forget a lot even in 30 days! I'm happy I did this blog, as I never would have remembered otherwise.
So what have I gained from the challenge? Well, I think the biggest thing is the revelation that consistent daily practice is good and I like it! Of course you end up sacrificing social events, sleep, working late etc. but I don't have any regrets about those sacrifices. The majority of times I went into class tired, I came out feeling more energised. Even last Friday's class, where I felt wiped out, I did actually feel better afterwards. Before I started, I thought I may be too tired or stiff at some point, and that I might want to quit, but I never felt so bad that I wanted to give up. Your body just gets used to going every day.
I've also really started to consistently enjoy classes again. I wrote at the start, that lately I'd been feeling like yoga was a chore sometimes. I haven't felt that during this challenge, because I've recognised the benefits outweigh the feeling of obligation that I had to go. I'm really happy about this, and I hope that feeling stays.
Physically, there have been a few changes. My balancing postures have got much stronger. Of course, I still fall out, but my SFTK is much much better than it was at the start of the challenge. I can hold it for longer. I think this is just because of the daily practice; the repeated action. Also partly due to floor Janushirasana, where my foot now easily lifts off the floor, whereas before it was often quite a push to get it up. I'm not saying these postures are in any way near perfect. I still have a long way to go.
I also feel like my upper and middle back are opening up a little more. My back has always been quite tight, and hasn't opened up much in three years, but now I can feel it is starting to release more in backbends. My backbends feel good. I have always had a weak lower back. The opening higher up is helping it, I think. This is partly why I want to start walking down the wall every day.
I had two other reasons for doing the challenge; the breath and elimination of mental distractions. To be honest, I can't see much of a change in these from the last thirty days, but I think this is too short a period to expect much from that. I was ok with breathing before, and I still am. Mental distractions continue to steal my focus sometimes, particularly if I'd had a very bad day, so this is something I need to work on more. I have been thinking about practising meditation to help with this. That said, I also have some amazingly focused classes too. I want consistency though.
I feel good about completing the challenge, and I picked up my t-shirt at reception today. It says "I came every day for 30 days" and is a cute little back American Apparel one. I will probably continue daily yoga wherever possible, because it feels good. I expect I will also be continuing this blog too, as I like the idea of having a record of certain moments that would otherwise be forgotten.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Shabs! You did it!! Hooray!! Round of coconut water on me!!! :)
I think the coolest thing in your reflections is how much you now ENJOY going to yoga every day. THAT is how it should be! Yay! And you know... life happens, work happens, family happens, so maybe from now on it won't ALWAYS be an every day thing, but now that you know how nice it is to practice daily, I bet you will find yourself making time for class just as often as possible! That's how it's gone for me. Just watch out... it is addictive. ;-) Any time I drop down to less than 6 classes in a week I am kind of sad cause I miss my yoga.
I am totally with you on the little difficulties of practicing advanced stuff - number one, the energy to do it at all, and number two, the discipline to do the stuff that you are NOT good at!! I've tried so many things... for a while I had a little written schedule and even tried to plan which things I was going to work on for certain days... but I never managed to stick with it!! Hmmm. It's a challenge.
I hope that The End is really The Beginning and we will keep hearing your electronic voice for many more 30 day periods!!
xoxo
Juliana
Well thank you for your super kind words!!
I had a break yesterday and I have to tell you it felt very very weird! I felt totally lazy and was dying to get back into the studio again all day today!
I had an advanced practice list too for a while!! But as you say it did not last :) I have been more disciplined so far this week about practising though, so I will try to keep it up.
xxx
Post a Comment