Friday, 14 August 2009

Day 22

Today Sam's class FLOORED me! I swear this is getting harder. I was feeling like I slacked off a bit the last couple of days, and could not wait for class, and went in with so much energy. But the class just finished me off.

I had a fantastic experience in pranayama breathing today. I was really getting into the breathing, and I could feel the strength of the energy from the fresh oxygen charging through me. My body actually experienced severe tingling from the breath. This is an extreme version of what I normally feel from pranayama. I felt sooo set up for class after that, and the next few postures were awesome. I had a revelation that this is probably how it's meant to feel every time, and maybe I haven't been putting in enough effort the last 3 years!

But then at some point in Standing Head to Knee the humidity hit me. It was a VERY hot day, and almost a full class, even though it was only 5pm, and HUMID. I was careful to focus on breathing after yesterday, but I still had to sit out a set of Standing Separate Leg Head To Knee Pose. I tried so hard to push through the Standing series, determined to complete it, but I was lightheaded and struggling, and sat down before the end.

By the end of class I had regained some energy, but still felt very weak. I was starting every posture, because I genuinely wanted to do everything, but then coming out early when I felt physically like I could not do any more. To give you an idea of what I must have looked like after class, as I left the studio I walked past two girls who looked at each other with this shocked expression...then I heard them giggling after I passed them! :)

I'm constantly surprised by how a class I do all the time has the power to run up, grab me, and push me to the floor when I'm not expecting it! It is just amazing how you can go for weeks feeling strong, never sitting anything out, having pretty good classes, to one like this, where you just have to surrender. It's a feeling of being out of control, where you mentally want to keep going, but physically you can't. Probably the opposite to yesterday, where I could have pushed on physically, but I was tired and let that take me over mentally.

I guess that is one reason why people go back for the same thing day after day. A different experience every single time. It never gets boring...

No comments: