Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Days 25 + 26

Today was Day 26. Not much to say except my muscles are STILL aching from Saturday! It's nice to ache, but I am tired today. Class was nice, and not too hot, not too hard. I need a good night's sleep tonight so I can have a strong last few days.

Last night sticks in my mind more. We had a new teacher. New to our studio at least, although she has been teaching 20 years. She certainly had a lot to say, and some of it was funny!

Example Quote:

At the start of eagle. "Work the arms, ladies. I'm big on the arms. The arms are the first thing to go. You want to know what the second thing to go is?" Pause. "The husband!"

It was nice to have some humour injected into practice. She reminded me of a yoga teacher from the studio I went to in Hoboken, when I lived in the States temporarily. I had a feeling that one friend from there would have said that she talked a lot :)

That reminds me of when I lived in Hoboken, NJ for four months a couple of years ago. I miss the small yoga community there. It's VERY different to the big studios in London, with capacities of 70+, and full classes, which automatically makes the experience a little more impersonal. There's certainly a community here, but because it's so big it does take that bit longer to get to know people.

In Hoboken, my studio was just 2 blocks from my apartment in those days, back when it was still a Bikram studio (it's now severed ties with Bikram, and is teaching many other styles). That was the ultimate location for me. Now every time I move house I try to get closer and closer to a yoga studio. My current location is a 15 minute walk, which isn't bad, but 2 blocks was more ideal :)

Next time I move I'll be looking for somewhere even closer! *sigh*...The things we do for yoga...

2 comments:

thedancingj said...

Haha... FUN. That SO is something that Bikram would say. I didn't realize, until I took his class, just how many of the little jokes and quirks that my teachers have in their classes actually are inspired directly by him!

Shabs said...

Yes, she was very Bikram-esque, or at least how I imagine him to be (as I have never met him). I wished I had a little notebok with me, to write it all down, as she just kept producing these great one-liners :)